Saturday, June 29, 2019

Teacher On Center Stage: Arabella Soniega (1 of 1)

was in Pangasinan around mid-June to conduct a workshop for DepEd teachers in the K-3 level. I was invited by Teacher Ara Soniega who impressed me as one of the dedicated teachers DepEd has in its teaching force. Let us get to know more about her and the work she does with DepEd Pangasinan.


What is your teacher story, so far?


I have been working in DepEd since passed the PBET 1986I am a BSE graduate, major in Social Science and minor in Filipino, however, I spent my first 5 years as elementary classroom teacher in two private schools in NCR – 4 years at Mother Goose Playskool/ Gradeschool in Pasig and 1 year at St. Anthony Learning School in QC – an experience I truly treasured because it has prepared me a better teacher prior to my entry to public schoolIn 1992, I finally entered public school at Antonio P. Villar National High School, the only high school in a small municipality of Sto. Tomas, Pangasinan,  next to my hometown (Alcala)and handled Social Studies and Filipino. I was promoted to MT 1 in 1990 then shifted to HT 3 in 2005 and became an Education Program Supervisor in 2008.I was designated as OIC in a newly opened high school for almost 3 years, then OIC office of the District Supervisor in 2 different districts.

     At present, I am the Education Program Supervisor in-charge of Filipino, MTBMLE, Multigrade Program in Pangasinan Division II.

 

2. What has been the most rewarding experience you have as  a DepEd teacher and professional?

 

As a classroom teacher, I consider my being a pre-school teacher (at St. Anthony Learning Center, QC) as the most challenging yet rewarding one because I learned how to become a beginning reading teacher which was far from my area of specialization. It was rewarding because at the end of the school year, my pupils became readers.


 In addition to this,  I was actively involved in the K to 12 Curriculum since it started in 2011 – from the development of materials in MTBMLE to the mass training conducted from Grade 1 to Grade 12 - as a writer (MTBMLE and Grade 4 (Filipino) materials) and as a national trainer during the mass trainings conducted from Grade 1 to grade 6; a regional trainer in Filipino from Grade 7 to Grade 12.


I also became a certified NEAP Facilitator after going through rigid screening and evaluation and facilitated series of trainings conducted for school administrators and supervisors in Region I.


Being in DepEd for 27 years and still counting, a lot of opportunities came my way. I was actively involved in the different activities of the Central Office as regard to the programs assigned to me. These activities provided me the opportunity to experience working with different people at different places and more importantly, an opportunity to take part in worthwhile endeavors that benefitted not only the teachers and learners in my own division but nationwide, as well.


Part 2 of the blog feature will discuss the literacy projects Teacher Ara conducts for K-3 learners.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...