Since Internet use for teaching does not exist in a vacuum, it is necessary to establish moorings given the factors that influence its application. Here is the position statement of the International Reading Association on the facility of technology (the Internet, included) for instruction.
We (IRA) believe that children have the right to:
* Teachers who are skilled in the effective use of ICT for teaching and learning;
* A literacy curriculum that integrates the new literacies of ICT into instructional programs;
* Instruction that develops the critical literacies essential to effective information use
* Assessment practices in literacy that include reading and writing with technology tools;
* Opportunities to learn safe and responsible use of information and communication technologies;
* Equal access to ICT