Thursday, October 5, 2023

Author Interview: Trina Vellila - Milan


It was a pleasure to meet Teacher Trina Velilla-Milan after more than a decade! Fourteen years to be exact. We taught in Xavier School and what we share are wonderful memories teaching alongside each other in the Early Education Department. And now, we are both published authors of children's books!

Read my book review of her book, What the Sun Says to the Moon on my IG post. 

To know more about Trina Vellila-Milan the author, she afforded me an interview for the blog. Today is October 5, World Teachers Day. What a fitting occasion to have her as our featured author!


1. Writers have a lot to say and in many creative ways at that. What is the one thing you cannot explicitly say but can express creatively?

 

Yes, I agree! Writers do have a lot to say but cannot explicitly express it completely. Although, I do feel that writing has become a lost art. As simple as writing a letter or receiving a handwritten note from a friend has been replaced by technology. It is sent thru text or tweets. There is nothing more special in seeing the beauty of a message coming together to form a handwritten letter to articulate feelings and stories. Each one of us has our own way of writing, a handwriting style. You are sharing a part of yourself through this handwritten letter which makes it more personal. It is a gift and my heart will not get old in finding joy in the simple. Even if it will make you sound silly. Write until you surprise yourself. As I often say, “I write how my head hears it and how my heart feels it.” Think of it like an exercise or meditation to help calm your mind or raise your vibrations.

 


2.  Kindly describe your creative process for What the Sun Says to The Moon?

I was not exactly the best in writing or painting growing up. I was a frustrated artist/writer to be honest. I admired those who can write so well. Reading more gave me the courage to pursue this dream. One challenge was to face the fear inside me but to do it anyway. I had to start somewhere, begin writing, submit that manuscript and just do it! Next was to find the right publisher/publishing house who would believe in me. It only takes one person to change your life to push you, to believe in you right? So, I took the risk and started putting myself out there. Submitted my manuscript to 7 publishing houses, 2 declined, the rest did not reply and only Ukiyoto Publishing replied saying, “we are pleased to let you know that we have decided to proceed ahead with further publication process.” This email then led to one of the highs in the process. The happiest I felt in this journey as a first-time author.

3. What tips and advice can you give parents to foster their child’s creativity?

Our power as a parent is what we give to our children. Enjoy your time together and be present. Give your kids opportunities to be creative. Plan activities that you both can enjoy. You’ll be surprised, at first you might think it might be boring for them but as long as they see you also enjoying too, your child will be happy to share that moment with you.

My son and I tried different activities, from Pottery Class, Painting Class (Sip & Gogh) to Ice Skating and more. As parents, thinking of activities can also foster our own creativity.

4. What are your 5 Best Reads?

This is a great question. There are so many books to choose from. But allow me to give you a mix of my favorite children’s books to a few of my life changing reads.


a.)   The Very Hungry Caterpillar By: Eric Carle

b.)   The Giving Tree By: Shel Silverstein

c.)    Who Moved My Cheese By: Spencer Johnson M.D.

d.)   The Alchemist By: Paulo Coelho

e.)   As A Man Thinketh By: James Allen


Thank you very much, Trina! I look forward to your next book!


✨ORDER LINK: ✨ https://www.ukiyotophilippines.com/product-page/what-the-sun-says-to-the-moon ✨GOOGLE PLAY: ✨ https://books.google.com/books/about/What_The_Sun_Says_To_The_Moon.html?id=yOmoEAAAQBAJ Last copies of the books are available at the Pinto Art Museum https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=pinto+art+museum&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ph&client=safari#


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...