Monday, December 14, 2020

Filipino Librarian of the Month: Jessica Castro-Cristobal

Our featured Filipino Librarian this month is vlogger Jessica Castro-Cristobal. In this interview, Jessica shares with us her vlogging journey as well as tips for those who wish to start vlogging. 

1. Why vlogging?

I was inspired by celebrity Youtube content creators like Toni Gonzaga and Bianca Gonzales who film such motivational vlogs or videos. It’s funny how this pandemic made me decide to set up my own YouTube channel when in fact, I’m not a fan of it until quarantine happened.

And just to share, I chose LIS (Library and Information Science) Campaign as my pilot content so I can finally turn my MLIS (masters) thesis into a reality! This milestone is a blessing to me as I now found my comfortable platform to freely express myself and introduce BLIS Program and Profession! 

2. What are your gains and losses in vlogging?

I consider myself a “Wallflower” Librarian who would rarely attend librarians’ conventions and any professional gatherings, and who would usually distance herself from the crowd and actively avoid being in the limelight. In vlogging, I believe, I’m slowly losing that anxiety, or I must say, “finally got rid of it” and now, surprisingly, I gained my confidence in getting along with fellow library professionals. Aside from being grateful for the new faces I have met, I am also thankful for those new learned perspectives in librarianship from each episode’s guest.

3. So far, how has vlogging led you to an insight or a discovery of the profession?

Well, who could have thought that a librarian can also become a Vlogger?

In my 24 uploads, I have proven that Librarians speak and act from the heart. Without the presence of Librarian and BLIS (Bachelor of Library and Information Science) Student guests, every content would have not been such an inspiring story, a story not only about Library Science journey, but indeed unique life stories. This vlogging advocacy has also lead me to a discovery of the profession in a way that becoming a Librarian is “ A Blessing in Disguise”, “A Gift”, “For All”, “An Advocacy”, “A Redemption”, and “A Bread and Butter”.

4. Please share with us, some tips for others who want to begin vlogging.

Since this question falls #4, I have 4 tips to share for others (librarians or not, BLIS students or not) who want to begin vlogging.

1. You must be OPEN to show to the public your stories, your real personalities, you, YOURSELF. 

2. You must KNOW your content. Create a content that aims to inspire people, not just to gain more followers, views, likes, or simply a desire to monetize your channel.

3. You must FEEL comfortable. It’s okay to feel ashamed at first, that’s normal. What important is as you go along, you get to easy learn speaking in front of your own camera.

4. You must NOT require yourself to buy hi-tech gadgets or equipment, a smartphone and monopod will actually do, in the beginning. 😊

You can view Jessica's YouTube channel   for news, features and updates about Filipino Librarians in the time of the pandemic. She is also on Instagram as @justjess_1023 and on Facebook as The Vlogging Librarian.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...