Thursday, April 11, 2024

Shaping a Story

In early March, a group of young writers from St. Scholastica's Academy Marikina invited me to talk about my writing life and creative process. In the online session I had with them, I included pointers in writing a children's story that will be illustrated by an artist or illustrator. I showed them formats and structures to follow and model. The young writers, a mix of Junior and Senior high schoolers, are aiming to finish a book project.

A couple of weeks after, I received a manuscript where a dream is used as a key literary device. I replied:

 A dream can be used in another way to push the plot forward: as foreshadowing; as a warning; words of caution. There is fear when this happens. However, I would deter you from using a dream as technique to change behavior for plot and character development.

Empower the child character by NOT instilling fear, but by making the child character experience a life changing event. Moving him or her to make the right choice to be a better person or child.

What could happen to a child who bad mouths other people? 

Kahit pag sabihan siya ng parents and teachers niya, ginagawa niya pa din. 

Ano yung cause and effect nito sa child.

What if you show this cause and effect situation?

How will the child learn?

Who will help the child?

 What did the child resolve to do?

There is definitely a part 2! 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...