Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Moments at the Asian Literacy Conference x 52nd RAP National Conference 2024 (2 of 2)

Day 2 at the Asian LitCon X 52nd RAPNatCon 2024

Teacher Dina Ocampo delivered a moving keynote on the why and how of literacy as well as the necessity of research to create, design and develop language and literacy programs rooted in Filipino culture and identity. What I found as common to all speakers who presented studies, research and trends in critical literacy, growth mindset, language learning and acquisition, and community based learning programs and initiatives was the socio-economic factor as a score card to success or failure, depending on the country’s culture, context and history. I have so much to digest.

In the concurrent sessions, I learned of two strategies to monitor and motivate high school readers. In the session on community based learning, I took away a framework of implementation as important to sustain and maintain a literacy program.

Keywords: Consistency. Fidelity. Ownership.
I presented our library program and literacy project with me learning more from participants, colleagues and peers in the field of literacy education. And I am really glad and appreciative of listening to Allan Ancilla, a senior in college who wrote a research paper on library awareness and satisfaction index.


After presenting our program, I headed to to two parallel sessions. One is about crafting stories for children and the second is on community based literacy. There I met Teacher Joanna who asked me for an autograph. She took a children's literature course with Teacher Portia Padilla where she learned of the books I author. Moment namin na magkita in-person since I was a guest in the class via Zoom. In the midst of the loss and grief we experienced during the lockdown years, it has given us a lot to be thankful for.

Ang daming dapat gawin. Fighting!

For now, we rest. We live and we fight for another day.

Congratulations Reading Association of the Philippines! Maraming salamat! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...