Sunday, July 19, 2026

When Seoul Surprises: Who’s the King? Who’s the Boss?

On our last day in Korea, we traveled to MBC Dae Jang Geum Park in Yongin, home to one of South Korea’s largest historical drama sets. It was there were my favorite Kdramas were filmed, Jewel in the Palace, Scarlet Heart Ryo and The King’s Affection. As ARMY, it was extra special because it was where Min Yoongi filmed the music video for Daechwita. Standing inside Injeongjeon Hall, the throne room where the music video was filmed, was awe inspiring.

The palace sits on top of a hill beside a mountain with the view of earth and sky. As much as the palace grounds and surrounding efifices recreate Joseon era Korea, the terrain was perfect for it. I was truly impressed at how art and culture is being managed and restored. And to think that we didn’t pay any entrance fee, it was really a treat.

The palace was magnificent. The painted folding screens. The lattice windows. The long stone courtyards. I walked from throne room to where Agust D moved between king and rebel. Daechwita kept playing in my mind and I can’t help but recognize once again this masterpiece of an anthem.



The other night, I started watching East Palace. Within minutes, I paused. The throne room. The palace doors. The courtyard. It all looked familiar. The same spaces where Agust D once became a king in Daechwita had become the royal palace of another story.



It made me smile. Korea has surprised me once again.

#KdramaIsLife #TheEastPalace #BTS_ARIRANG #BangtanPilgrimage2026 #soueltravel


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...