Sunday, May 8, 2016

Backstories of Dear Nanay and My Daddy! My One and Only!

Because it is Mother's Day, and Father's Day is next month, I am sharing this short interview of Iyra Buenrostro, from two years ago, about my writing life. Though brief, you'll get a glimpse of where I get inspiration in writing stories.

Ano po yung inspiration ninyo for writing your books?  (What is your inspiration for writing your books?)

My inspiration to write is my family, primarily, my kids. My Daddy! My One and Only! is the story of my son and husband. 

Dear Nanay is a personal story of mine. My father worked abroad in the early 80s. Nangulila ako sa tatay ng dalawang taon. Nung 2002, na-inspire ako magsulat ng tula tungkol sa isang anak na namimiss ang nanay nya na Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW). Naisulat ko ang kwento pauwi from Singapore. Galing akong congress noon on storytelling. Ang daming OFW na Pinay sa plane puro pasalubong ang dala!


Do you have a specific advocacy as regards Philippine children's literature? 

Produce quality books; fair royalties and professional fees to writers. Mas malaki palagi sa publisher ang share.

Dear Nanay is illustrated by Liza Flowers. My Daddy! My One and Only! is illustrated by Jomike Tejido. Both books are published by Lampara Books.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...