Friday, June 20, 2014

23 Mobile Things PH SG: Things 17, 18, 19 - Research & Productivity Tools & File Sharing

I have been terribly busy the past weeks. School ended last May and I'm officially on summer vacation.

But.

So, I am catching up on 23 Mobile Things PH SG.

Things 17, 18 and 19 are all familiar tech tools. I have been using Evernote since 2011 as a way to synchronize files on the school library project I am involved in for Sambat Trust UK, a charity that set ups school libraries. Evernote keeps me on track on reports and updates, feedback and news from the charity's director and field coordinator. Since there's a mobile app, I get news from them real time. It's been pretty efficient.

I've downloaded Workflowy in my iPhone. It's very similar to the productivity tools that came with my iPhone apps when I bought it. But it's good to give it a try. Hootsuite is another productivity tool that I use to campaign for the school library projects of Sambat Trust UK. It saves me a lot of time in posting to all my social media accounts. Sadly, much as I want to try Buffer, I need an iOS7 upgrade in my iPhone. I am not yet ready to upgrade for economic reasons.

When Dianne De Las Casas and I were working on Tales From the 7,000 Isles: Filipino Folk Stories (my first book published in the US), we synced work through Dropbox. It was amazing. Now, Dropbox comes with an app. I tried downloading it but, like Buffer, it needs to run in iOS7.

I'm not jumping in the bandwagon.

Here's what I'll do: this summer, I'll include a review of useful apps  that can be used by teachers and students. I'll have the list published in the school's newsletter and posted in the school library's web portal. Indeed, the role of librarians have shifted from keepers of information who provide access to users to facilitators of technology to assist users in the responsible and efficient use of tools for thinking.

Promise, I'll post projects I do and learn from 23 Mobile Things PH SG.

And yes, I am on summer vacation.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...