Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

A few backs I sent a SOS to all my social media networks. This was my message:

SOS Librarian friends: I am in need of tips, standards in the organization and preservation of architectural blue prints. Short term and long term plans for management of such records. ASAP. Send me PM please.
Amazingly, I got two replies: one from Eimee Lagrama who sent in a link on the storage, preservation and management of such records; and the other from Mercy Servida, librarian of Lopez Museum. From her reply, I was able to set a procedure for the initial care of the blue prints.

1. Determine if the blue prints are the originals as these last longer than replicates;
2. Remove the blue prints from rolled forms.
3. Straighten the blue prints by placing glass on top or any flat, heavy object;
4. Scan and/or digitize;
5. Classify and catalog the blue prints by architect, building, specifications and access points;
6. Store in space with controlled temperature and humidity.
With social media and Web 2.0, librarians can continue to grow and help each other out! Thanks Eimee and Tita Mercy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...