Friday, October 18, 2013

Filipino Friday (2): Kids and Books

This Filipino Friday, we're being asked to go back to childhood and remember the cherished books that rocked our world.

Specifically, the questions for this Friday's meme are:

What were your favorite books as a kid or while you were growing up? Do you still read children’s books? If you could give your younger self a book to read, what would it be?
I have blogged about books I've read and adored when I was a growing child and an awkward teenager. I've linked those blog entries in the highlighted words in the previous sentence so feel free to click and read the entries. As for the second question, my answer is YES. I still read children's books and young adult novels.



Being a mom with kids (12 and 16), I require myself to read the books and materials written and created for them. I take it as my responsibility as a parent to know the books and reading materials being sold in bookstores and those online. I hold the same accountability in my work as a high school librarian. I review books and resources before acquiring these for the library. I do make a list of the books I want to read so that I can borrow them when it is ready for circulation. The great thing about reading books meant for teenagers is that, I get to know my young readers better. My kids keep on talking about trending books in their school and among their friends, like Diary ng Panget. Physical appearance, self confidence and identity are big issues among teens. One of these days, I shall pick up a copy. At work, I hear about John Green, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Mitch Albom and Paulo Coelho as favorite authors. Catch 22, Ender's Game, Gaiman's Sandman series, paranormal romance and dystopian literature are the ones being asked for very so often. Genre literature is being read and explored!

My advocacy pushes me further to read books for kids and teens. Every year, as PBBY spearheads the celebration of the National Children's Book Day, I look forward to knowing about new titles published by our authors, illustrators and local publishers. I have the whole year to read up on books written and published by friends in the industry.

As for the last question, I would give my grade school self a copy of Jose Aruego's Juan and the Aswangs and PS I love You by Barbara Conklin for my high school self. The former is a collector's item I wish to share with my own kids while the later is the first book that hooked me to read the Sweet Dreams series back in high school. I'm still a hopeless romantic to this very day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...