Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Reading Choices

Browsing the books on display
My kids are now of the age when they can choose books and reading materials on their own. When we're at the mall, we drop by a bookstore to browse and buy books with in the allotted budget. When I bring them books I borrowed from the library, they choose the ones they like according to book cover (yes the adage Don't judge the book by its cover does not apply), title, genre and author. It will take time for their selection criteria to change and grow.

I am patient. What I can do for them now is to provide them with the reading materials and a literacy rich environment. This is not easy but, it is included in the word, parenting.

Their school had a book fair recently. What an opportune time to exercise this choice of reading, and yes, buying. So, after both kids asked of their book budget they set off to the rows and rows of books displayed by National Bookstore.

At the book fair, they met classmates and friends who were there for the book party. I also met my kids' high school librarian, Mr. Marlon Salinas, who invited me last week for a talk and mini-workshop on Creative Writing with grades 9 and 10. More on that next post.

With HS Librarian, Mr. Marlon Salinas

Nico picked up Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, while Zoe bought two activity books on puzzles. Last night, Nico told me, "Ma, the book is better than the movie."

Of course. It has always been that way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...