Sunday, September 18, 2011

My First Day @ the MIBF 20 11

I went to the Manila International Book Fair (MIBF) last Friday (16 September) and Saturday (17 September). My first visit was job related. I dropped by the Anvil showroom to select exam copies of Filipiniana and foreign titles which they carry via Megatext. Then I was off to the Scholastic and Adarna booths.

At the Scholastic booth, I met John Kwong from the Book fairs department. He was so proud to invite me over at the Scholastic Warehouse in Pasig to visit their library showroom. Turns out that Scholastic Book Fairs is focusing on helping school libraries develop a reader friendly collection that offers fiction and non-fiction titles. This is something I would be interested to look at.


With Clifford at the Scholastic booth
I had my chance of meeting Clifford, the big red dog. Here in the photo, I was whisked back to my storytelling days for National Book Store. At the time, Scholastic did not operate on book fairs and educational trade. They were sole distributors of books to books stores in Manila. One promotional activity they had then was to celebrate book parties with Clifford, the Berenstain Bears, Arthur the aardvark and many more events that drummed up reading books as well. To this day, Clifford remains a favorite among preschool and primary grades readers.

Before leaving the Scholastic booth, I had a conversation with Joyce Bautista who was, at the time, organizing a web chat with Rachel Ward, author of the book, Numbers. The web chat is scheduled today at 4PM.

Finally, I had my picture taken with one of the staff dressed in space alien costume. I love her headband! I might come dressed in one some time in the future for spirit week in school Who knows?

When I came to the Adarna House to check their new titles, I was happily surprised to see Dr. Luis Gatmaitan making chit-chats with the staff. Familiar faces all! It's like meeting friends I've not seen in a long while.

This year, Adarna House has one new title and four reprints launched at the fair. Glenda Oris' Whuush!, Gatmaitan's Ang Ambisyosong Istetoskop, Almario's Si Hinlalaki and Rosa Albina and Desausido's Dalawang Dagang Bulag. Good titles indeed. But what piqued my interest is Adarna House's Wikahon. It's a reading inventory and skills development module for learners of the Filipino language. It's pretty impressive so I will devote one blog post about it next week. For the meantime, it is enough that a glimpse of this product is given to readers of the blog.

My day at the fair was also a day of meeting friends in the industry - Ed Marananan, Jay Menes, Portia Padilla, Nhyl Elada, Sam Cudiamat, Teacher Anding of Kumon, friends from World Book and Phoenix Educational Systems and some celebrities too like Dulce, the power house singer who has recently been active in the Christian renewal movement. It had been an exciting day at the fair!

1 comment:

Andy said...

The Wikahon seems interesting. Do you know how much that is?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...