Friday, September 2, 2011

Filipino Friday: Filipiniana

September 2 - Do you read Filipino literature? If yes, what are some books by Filipino authors that you can recommend to fellow readers?

This Friday's meme made me look back at the Filipiniana reviews I have posted in this blog. To answer the questions, I went back to the blog archives and exhumed quite a number of book reviews. I'm a school librarian thus, my orientation leans heavily on Philippine Children's and Young Adult Literature. Some noteworthy links from the recommended reads I made in the PBBY website is also included in the link list.

I hope that, you, the reader, would patiently click the links and see for yourself the wonderful Filipianan materials we have out there for kids and teens. Here goes --

Ang Pambihirang Buhok ni Lola by Rene Villanueva

Elias and His Trees by Augie Rivera

Rosang Taba by Dean Alfar

Bruhaha! Bruhihi! by Ompong Remigio

The Boy Who Touched Heavenby Iris Gem Li

PBBY: Recommended Reads

Back in 2005, I even attempted to create a bibliography of Filipiniana for Children.

Books about the Handicapped and Special Children

Subject Index for Filipiniana for Children Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography: A Work in Progress

Having done this meme, I realized how few my reviews of Filipiniana for Children and Young Adult have been over the six years of blogging. I should do more of this.



4 comments:

jers said...

Children's lit! I dreamed of a job na mabababad ako sa children's lit. You're very fortunate Librarian-Teacher-Blogger Zarah!

fantaghiro23 said...

Hi, Zarah! Thank you so much for your links. I'm browsing through your bibliography of books for special children, and I didn't know that Eugene Evasco wrote a book about a kid with Down Syndrome. Must look for that. My daughter has Down Syndrome and am very glad when I see stories that help educate the public about it.:)

Chachic said...

I have a copy of Enrique El Negro somewhere in my TBR pile but I haven't read it yet. Thanks for compiling a list of Filipino children's and young adult novels!

Zarah C. Gagatiga said...

jers - by God's grace :-)

fantaghiro23 - evasco's federico is out of print. i don't know if adarna house will republish. give adarna house a call and make inquiries. you'll never know what you'll find out :-)

chachic - go read! cacho publishing has a list of ya novels by pinoy writers. hm.. i should really go back to the bibliography i made a few years back and post them in the blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...