Thursday, November 18, 2010

Earning a License

Sixteen years ago, I took the exams for librarians that would earn me a license.

If my memory serves me right, Dean Igor Cabbab was my exams-mate. He was seated a few chairs in front of me. I was seated in front of Abigail Capitin. I did not know them then. Yet, I remember both their faces. They were very confident. Years after, in some librarian event or the other, I was able to pick up their names and match it with my memory of their bright faces.

What I remember well was the way I was squirming in my seat those two days of the exam. Unlike Dean Cabbab and Ms. Capitin, I was a bundle of nerves. I was so unsure of passing the board exam. As luck would have it, I passed a few steps above the passing mark. Mahal talaga ako ni Lord.

Passing the librarians' board exam meant everything to me. I took it as God's way of telling me to be a librarian. Back then, I was teaching in preschool.

As a young professional and licensed librarian, ang yabang ko. A few years of actual practice made me realize how complicated this issue of librarians earning a license was. Human factor so they say, it is not perfect. At present, it remains so. What with many non-licensed librarians practicing the profession equal to their licensed counterparts. Sigh.

My simple message to those who passed the librarians' board exam: the moral and ethical obligations to obtaining and having a license is a personal responsibility. Use it well.

Congratulations to you!

4 comments:

igor said...

Buti ka pa naaalala mo yun. Dinaan lang sa positive thinking. (Papasa ako... Papasa ako...) Ako traumatic yung exam... Blocked it out of my memory. XD I do remember getting wasted after and sleeping it off the following day.

dmarco said...

indeed, it is our moral obligation to uphold our profession. and congratulations to all the passers! :D

Phelee said...

It's a pity that some of the young licensed librarians in public elementary school are no longer practicing librarians. Due to lack of teachers in public schools, they were obliged to leave the library for the classroom.

Zarah C. Gagatiga said...

dean igor - the many ways we cope with stres.

darrel - it's a complicated life.

ofelia - really? so the opposite happens!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...