Here are some fast facts about PBBY and NCBD being that it is its 27th year of existence.
* The first Chairperson of PBBY was National Artist for Music, Lucrecia Kasilag. Dr. Serafin Quiason, from the National Library was Vice-Chairperson.
* In 1983 PBBY was then a mere idea. A year after, on August 8, 1986 the Articles of Incorporation was approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
* The first PBBY Writers Prize was awarded in 1984 to Wynstan Dimalanta for his retelling of Mga Pakikipagsapalaran ni Pilandok and to Susan Baclagon Borrero for her adaptation of the folktale, Ang Tatlong Magkakaibigang Palaka.
* The PBBY Writers Prize in 1984 had a Category B for original stories written for children. The winner was Rodolfo Mallari for his story, Malikoban.
* Former First Lady Imelda Romualdez Marcos was the guest of honor of the first NCBD in 1984.
* The NCBD is celebrated every 3rd Tuesday of July under Presidential Decree 2365.